Friday, June 13, 2008

So, John Laschar's going on a trip to Utah...

...to have a meeting with supervisors and NPS directors, and some people aren't happy about it. They're going to a resort, and it will cost $1 million.

Boo-hoo! Cry me a river!

Sorry if I'm rocking the boat here, but I think it's a good thing, something they should do at least once every five or so years.

Why?

I'm a store manager for a company that has just over 100 stores nationwide. I've never gone to one of the major manager's meeting as I wasn't a store manager the last time they had one. Complaints were made that it was a waste of time and money because it cost $250,000.

Guess what happened at the last one. Store managers from around the country got to know each other a little better, ideas were shared and suggestions were made. Corporate people heard complaints on a personal level, and everyone benefitted.

I don't think the million dollar price tag is too high. If nothing else, it will foster friendship and comraderie among park officials. Also, some true good might come out of it that never would have happened otherwise.

Go to Utah, John, and have fun! Just be sure to bring us back some good ideas!

No comments: