Saturday, June 21, 2008

RIP to a dear friend...

...Deb Mattern. For those not in the know, Deb was a waitress and bartender at the Gingerbread man in Gettysburg for the past 15 years. If you'd ever have seen Deb, you'd remember her. "Pittsburgh Deb', or just plain "Pittsburgh" (as some of my friends and I often called her) was a tried and true fan of the Pgh. Steelers. Also, if she was tending the bar or waiting your table, you knew you were in good hands. She truly was one of the best!

Deb had been absent from the Gman for the past several months. Upon inquiring as to why, I was told she was 'very sick'. She had a myriad of illnesses that I can't even go into.

Let's suffice it to say that she succombed to these illnesses on Thur. June 19th after putting up a valiant fight. Deb, those of us who knew you will truly miss you. Those of us who never had the opportunity to know you have no idea what they missed out on. In her bar or in her section, you were one of the guys! She'd always take the time to inquire as to how you were doing, bring about some idle chatter when she was not busy, and make you feel like you were important, because in her world, you were!

RIP, Deb. You are in a better place. The Earth as we know it has suffered a great loss, but Heaven has gained another worthy soul! You truly will be missed!

3 comments:

Steve Basic said...

Duane,

A fine tribute to our friend, and nothing I can add to make sense of this loss to us both.

Duane and I have known Deb for 10 plus years, and am struggling with the thought that when I next visit Gettysburg she will be not there to welcome us with open arms as she had done since we first met her.

I join Duane in mourning her loss, and will miss her dearly.

My condolences to her family and friends in the Gettysburg area.

Regards from the Garden State,

Steve Basic

Mike Nugent said...

I was very sad to hear of Deb's passing. Deb took great care of me anytime I was in town. Despite being just another tourist she always made me feel like I was one of the regulars she saw everyday - a side benefit I'm sure of hanging out with Duane and Basecat.

I always looked forward to stopping by the G-man and seeing "Pittsburgh Deb" behind the bar. There would be a Yuengling in front of me before I had even settled onto my barstool. The G-man just won't be the same without her and I and countless others will surely miss her.

The key to immortality is to live a life worth remembering. Rest in peace Deb. Your many friends will never forget you.

David Rider said...

Hello,

I was just in Gettysburg yesterday and heard of the passing of Deb, can someone email me at dmrider@ptd.net and please let me know what happened ?