Friday, July 11, 2008

Gettysburg Bike Week...Re-visited!








Is this history? Maybe, but is it the kind of history people come to Gettysburg to see? Let's hope not. It happens every year. The peaceful streets of sleepy Gettysburg become host to Bike Week, and things really go down-hill fast.

I blogged last year about what happens and what it's like, so we won't go there other than to say it is not the thing most people would want their family to be witness to. Lots of drunken-ness and debuachery. Not quite the way to remember the heroes who fought on these very same fields to preserve freedom and our way of life!

It's sad, though, that we let them win...What do I mean?...I have friends who leave town for Bike Week because they don't want to deal with it! They're tired of the noise, tired of the traffic, they resent the fact that these out-of-town bikers come in and take over the bars and restaurants as if they are there own, and then leave as if they've done nothing wrong.

Leave if you like, but that's not the way to beat them. If we all leave, they would win. My plans for Bike Week? Go about my business as if nothing has changed (ok, so I may have to leave a bit earlier to get where I'm going...so what?). Gettysburg is where I live. Come Monday, these a-holes will be gone and we'll be left to clean up the mess. Guess what? Life goes on!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another bad day, Duane? You seem to have a lot of them.

Duane said...

If you call going about life and ignoring distractions having a bad day, then I guess so! Must be missing something here, because I actually am having a great day!

Duane said...

BTW, only gutless chickenshits post anonymously! Show some fire and sign your posts. In the future, all anonymous posts, no matter how thought out and relavent, etc. will automatically be deleted!...Can he really do that?...Try it!