Saturday, April 19, 2008

"Goodbye to an old friend"



This is a little late, but lots of things have been going on in Gettysburg. I didn't get to make it on the very last day, but on the Fri. before it closed for good, my friends Donna and Karl, and I went to see it one last time. It's kind of sad to see it go. It's one of those things that we all thought would be there forever. A "Gettysburg Institution".

Yet, at the same time, it is definitely time to move on. 50 yr-old technology to show a three-day battle with blinking lights? Surely, we can do better! I think the electric map was one of those things we all remember from our first Gettysburg school trip, something from our youth that helped us understand the battle (though on my particular first trip to Gettysburg, most of the kids were just glad to have two days away from school!).

I've only really seen this thing about 6 times, mostly when people who had never been here before came, so that we help them understand where things happen and why they did. So rather then lament on its demise, lets look to the future, and the new Gettysburg Visitor's Center. I've been there, and there will be more, much more, to follow on that subject.

No comments: