Monday, April 28, 2008

The Bookstore in the new VC...

...if that's what you'd like to call it. I call it another "Gettysburg Gift Shop". Less than 300 titles? Newt Gingrich's alternate Gettysburg history?

And, the books aren't even together. They're strewn throughout the shop in no orderly fashion amongst the Lincolns-on-a-stick (?), the felt kepis and cartridge candy, and all the other junk you can already find in town.

Want to do some serious book-shopping on a busy weekday? Be prepared for dozens of kids playin shoot-'em-up with the toy muskets and such as you try to look at the books! I got so frustrated I left. Maybe I'll try to shop in December when no one's in town!

The potential is there for so much more. They have the space. Put the tourist-trap gift shop on one side, and the books on the other. I guess the idea of 'screw the seriously-interested', let's sell junk and milk the tourists has carried over fom Old Gettysburg Village and Steinwehr Ave. to the new Gettysburg Visitor Center.

And to think, like a lot of the rest of us, I waited anxiously for this thing! :-(

No comments: