Thursday, April 9, 2009

Born again...











For those of you like me who have come to regard the Gettysburg Gingerbread Man as an integral part of the Gettysburg experience, you will note on your next visit, that the Gingerbread Man is no more! It has been replaced by Gettysburg Eddie's, a place with a bsaeball theme that is named after Eddie Plank. Eddie Plank was a baseball player from the area who played in the early 1900's.

Lori and I checked the 'new place' out awhile ago, and I give it mixed reviews. The same staff has been kept in place. If you sit at the bar, you will receive good service, but if you choose to sit in the dining rooms areas, service, as always, is hit or miss. I ordered a fish sandwich, since we were there on a Lenten Friday, and after awhile, I was starting to fear that they were having trouble catching my fish! Yep, we waited awhile.

The decor is nice, though I for one am disappointed. Being a Gettysburg establishment, I miss the various Civil War prints and pictures that were there. Otherwise, with the exceptions of a few moved tables, it is basically the same.

The menu has kept basically the same items, though I find it odd that the mozzarella stick have been replaced by bleu cheese and monterrey jack sticks.One thing worthy of note is a pronounced increase in menu prices. Though in today's economy it is understandable, over $10 for a small fish sandwich and fries seemed a bit pricey.

I am sure the place will continue to be busy, will continue to be a reenactor hangout, and will be a place where my friends from out of town and I will go when they are here, but it won't be a place where I frequent otherwise.

There is a lot of potential and a lot of room for improvement. Time will tell if it happens. I personally miss the old place, the old menu, and the old decor.

The Gingerbread Man is dead! Long live the G-Man (well, almost!)!

No comments: