Monday, September 3, 2007

When does humor become offensive?






I guess that can be a tough question? Some modern comedians truly put that question to the test at times. Political satirists, political commentary, a few off color jokes, and profanity do not bother me. Ethnic jokes at times do, especially if they imply racism.

I guess the difference is that it is aimed at an individual or group in an effort to belittle them, or to imply superiority. Jokes directed at the president, et al, can be funny because, even though they are directed at a particular individual, most of us see that he can be funny at times through his words and actions. Also, he can defend himself if need be.

What am I getting at here? I recently was in a Gettysburg tourist-trap gift shop. The kind of place (and there are many) that cares little about the history and sacrifice, but who's only concern is to milk the visitors and make as much money as possible (SHAMEFUL! to say the least). I saw a set of caricature style birthday cards. A few are shown at the top. I don't know, I can see the humor, but I think they are tasteless and highly offensive. Those on the cards saw more hardship, felt more loss and suffered more than any of us can possibly imagine. They were involved in some of the most brutal days in American history. Their hardships and sacrifice should not be made into a joke for a good laugh on a birthday. Once again, I think we owe them and their memory more.

By the way, there is no caption on the Sherman card. The Grant card says, "time for you to surrender another year...unconditionally." Of course, he has a flask and a cigar. Pickett's card says, "Sorry I didn't get you a present. I couldn't charge it." I can't even think of what to say about that one!

2 comments:

Stan O'Donnell said...

Hi Duane,

I think you're slightly off base here. I've known Jared Frederick for years. He's a young man of the highest integrity.

Most of the proceeds from those cards are donated to the CWPT. In addition, Jared has donated much of his artwork to local and national groups interested in the preservation of civil war history.

I'll respectfully submit that you're misinterpreting Jared's motives.

Jared is a gem of an artist as well as a top-notch nit-wit who has only the best of intentions. He's locked me out of the backseat of many a CW touring minivan as well.

I hope you'll reconsider.

Stan O'Donnell

Duane said...

sorry, Stan. I didn't mean personal offense directed toward anyone. I'll take your word that he's a good guy. I just don't think these cards are what Gettysburg is about. While other may like them, and may buy them and other such items, I still think they are in bad taste. Sorry we disagree, but a little disagreement can make life interesting. By the way, Jared is just the one example I used that struck me the wrong way. There are many others that I feel are very much worse. I don't blame the authors or the artists. I blame the Gettysburg merchants, who have lost their take on what Gettysburg is about and what it means, and who's only concern is how much money they can get from the tourists.

Regards,
Duane