Wednesday, November 21, 2007

So, tourist season has come and gone...















...and Remembrance day has gone along with it. Too bad, because I was having fun! A big thanks goes out to Steve, JD, and most importantly, Mike. Thanks, ya Irish SOB for sharing the same sense of humor as I have! The parade wouldn't have been the same without you!

The luminaries were awesome and moving. The service we got in the local establishments was 'incredible!' (How can one be over 500 miles from home and be treated like a local? Hang with the ole JR!)

The impressions, on the other hand...left a lot to be desired, shall we say? I saw the Timberland boots. I saw the havelocks (Really? In 1863?). And I saw the Galtroops. Can you spot her in the photo above? By the way, we all had special assignments. Mine was to count the Galtroops! The final tally? - 53 Union + two of who were 'inconclusive'...and...'33 Confederate', all of which would be confirmed. ( Hey I saw the 'lumps' in the proper places!'. It's a sad state of affairs - what this hobby used to be and what it's become!

And, I both saw and heard about 'the photo!' I'll be hearing about it all Winter, I suppose!

On to Thanksgiving. Peace and good wishes to all who may read this! God bless you all!

1 comment:

Mike Nugent said...

Well after having to miss last year's Remembrance Day I couldn't leave the parade critique to you alone this year!

Pretty good deal when I'm 500+ miles from home and have been in town for less than a day but the bartender already knows what to bring before I even order anything! Hanging with JR does indeed have its rewards.

As usual the reenactor impressions varied from the very good to the downright ridiculous and everywhere in between. Lots of galtroops, but I did notice fewer Robert E. Lees and George A. Custers in attendance than in years past. A lot of folks put in a good effort though with the sincere purpose of honoring the Veterans who fought here. More than a few though need to re-think and remember why they participate in the first place.

Great to stomp the field a bit and especially great to hang out with you and J.D. and Basecat again.